Developing your graduate capabilities
We aim to develop well-rounded graduates who have the skills and capabilities to thrive in their graduate careers. Many employers are demanding these capabilities so it’s really important to think about how you might develop these throughout your studies.
Developing these capabilities largely depends on the learning and teaching experiences you will have.
However, this also depends on how you approach your studies and also the experiences you engage in to develop capabilities outside of the classroom.
We have tips to help you do this.
The university aspires to develop graduates who are:
Graduates of the University have a broad knowledge base and disciplinary expertise.
- aware of contemporary research in their field of specialisation and able to conduct their own research and investigations.
- excited by ideas, discovery and learning and are conscientious in their endeavours to understand the complexities of the worlds they encounter at work and in society.
Graduates of the University are future and solution focused.
They are capable of developing unique and sustainable solutions to real-world problems.
Graduates of the University take personal responsibility and seek opportunities to work with others to advance thinking and achievement in all spheres of their lives. Graduates are:
Graduates of the University are citizens of Aotearoa / New Zealand and the world. Graduates:
- appreciate the role of the Treaty of Waitangi and are aware of global issues.
- act with integrity and fluency across cultures and perspectives
- are committed to the betterment of society
- are open in their thinking
- are appreciative of the riches that diversity and equity bring.
Graduate capabilities for Business
We have identified six capabilities that a Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Property graduate should have.
These capabilities are increasingly demanded by employers and they are useful for any role that you might go into.
We aim to develop these capabilities through our teaching and there are also things you can do to develop capabilities.
Click the hotspots for more information.